Prawns are my favorite seafood, next to Salmon fish.
I prepare this quick prawn stir fry with minimal use of spices, keeping the flavour of prawns the dominating one.
Prawns are rich in proteins. Thay are also high in cholesterol, but the tendency of the body to produce more cholesterol depends on the amount of fat in a particular food. As Prawns are so low in saturated fats, the cholesterol in the Prawns does not affect much. They can be had once in two weeks for a change. People with Heart diseases and Diabetes have to consume it in moderation as advised by their doctors.
I buy frozen prawns more often here. Back in India fresh Prawns were always available. Fresh prawns can be stored for a day or two, till used in a bowl of cold water with ice cubes once bought from market. I buy and store the frozen prawns for almost a month in the freezer compartment. Always wash and devien the prawns before you cook them.
Talehuwe Jhinge – Simple Fried Prwans
Oil – 2 tsp
Fresh/Frozen Prawns – 400 gms, deviened, and deshelled
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Water – 3/4 cup
1. Thaw the prawns and wash them well.
2. Pour oil in a pan on medium heat and throw in the prawns.
3. Stir fry them for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add salt, red chilli powder, and turmeric. Mix well.
5. Pour in water and cover the lid for 5 minutes.
6. Uncover and increase the temperature and let the water dry completely. Serve warm.