Today is the first official day of Spring here and the forecast nowhere shows such signs. It will be remaining cloudy with a few showers of snow and the temperatures remaining in ‘minus’ for some more time. There are a few signs of sun only the next week, which again are not very consistent. I hope Spring arrives very soon. Winter has been too beautiful, loved it so much, but i admit it gave many problems to my dear hubby.. the shoveling, the problem with car and snow troubled him a lot. I am waiting for spring, then summer, mainly because i can take my grill out, and also plant a little vegetable garden inshallah. So looking forward to it..
Speaking about planting your backyard with plants and herbs, ginger is the simplest. Whenever i see some rhizomes with buds, i just plant them in a pot, keep it well watered, and in some time i see the pot full of ginger rhizome. It comes very useful to me, and it keeps fresh in the soil.
Adraki Murgh - Ginger Chicken
I prepared this dish with these fresh ginger rhizomes. And it is also one of the quick non-vegetarian dishes that i prepare quite often in my house. Today i share with you the procedure of how i prepare Ginger Chicken. I believe the flavor of chicken goes very well along with ginger. They are made for one another. The sharp pungent taste of ginger, the sweet flavor of onion, and chicken is this dish is perfectly delectable. Irf loves this dish.
Adraki Murgh – Ginger Chicken
- Chicken Boneless Breast Meat/Murgh – 800 gms, washed, pat dried and cubed into bite size pieces
- Ginger juliennes - 3 tbsp
- Garam Masala - 2 tsp
- Yogurt/Dahi – 3 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder/Lal Mirch Powder - 2 tsp
- Salt/Namak – 2 tsp
- Turmeric/Haldi – 1/3 tsp
- Cloves/Laung – 3
- Canola/Sunflower Oil – 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves (fresh) - 4
- Yellow Onion – 1, large, thinly sliced
- Scallions/Hari Pyaz - chopped, for garnishing
- Ginger juliennes - 1 tbsp
- In a bowl or a resealable plastic bag, marinate the chicken with the ingredients under the heading ‘To Marinate’. Let the chicken marinate for about 2-4 hours in the refrigerator. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature atleast an hour befor you plan to cook it. (Remember this always)
- Later, heat oil in a non-stick heavy bottomed pan at medium high heat and throw in the cloves and thinly sliced onions. Stir fry it till the onion is lightly browned. Add the curry leaves and saute it for just a minute more.
- Add the marinated chicken and mix it well with the sauteed onion mixture. Close the lid for about 15 minutes. Later, open the lid and stir it gently, being careful not to break the tender chicken pieces.
- Let it cook uncovered for a little more time, till it is quite dry. Garnish with the ginger juliennes and spring onions.
Suggested Accompaniments: Parathas or Naan or Pulao..