It has been snowing; snowing very hard here since friday night. Today, I finally see sun in the sky and I immensely enjoyed the early morning sunlight streaking in through all the windows into my house. Beautiful and cheerful day it is alhamdulillah!
Dahi Tamatar Murgh – Baked Tomato-Yogurt Chicken
Food, especially in winter has to be comforting! The first thing Irf asks me after he returns home is, ‘Whats for dinner today?’ So, I try and prepare meals that are effortless to me and satisfying to my family too. These kind of quick curries, like the one I am writing about today, is my family’s favorite. This dish is easily done in less than 45 minutes. You just have to mix them all up, marinate for a little while, and let it slow cook by itself for the required time in the oven, and in the mean time you can prepare your other dishes for the day or complete the other chores. It doesn’t have the use of much oil, and you can even lessen the oil to one teaspoon if you wish! The yogurt and tomatoes give the chicken a delicious sweet-sour taste, and the garam masla makes it a little bit spicy. Its a very warming dish for these chilly winters.
Dahi Tamatar Murgh - Slow Cooked Tomato-Yoghurt Chicken
Chicken Breast Pieces/Murgh – 800gms, cut into bite size pieces
Tomato Paste – 3 tbsp
Olive Oil – 1 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Yogurt - 2 tbsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Turmeric – 1/3 tsp
Cilantro – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Dahi Tamatar Murgh - Slow Cooked Tomato-Yogurt Chicken, in a baking dish
1. In an Oven proof flat baking dish, mix all the above ingredients, except the coriander leaves, and let it marinate for 30 minutes or 2-4 hours preferably at room temperature if you can preplan it.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F
3. Cover the dish tightly with an aluminium foil and put this dish in the middle rack of the oven.
4. Check once after 25 minutes, and mix it well. Cover it again with the aluminium foil and put it back at the same temp in the Oven to cook completely.
5. Remove the dish after 45 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Check out these great sites:
They are both for a very noble cause, and spread the word.