The Haramasala walah (herb vendor) used to come by our house back in Hyderabad at around 10 a.m everyday. His loud, long and rhythemic shout..
“Kothmir, Pudina, Harimirch, Methi, Palak, Kulfa.. lelo” (Buy fresh green herbs for cooking)
.. announcing whatever he carried on his bicycle that day, in small gunny bags to keep them fresh in the morning heat for his regular customers, used to bring me hurrying up to the gate.
I admit I miss these kind of venders here. They would have a boon in the kind of busy lives we are living. Imagine the kind of convenience they would have offered! You would atleast not have to worry for the supply for daily fresh fruits and green herbs in your diet. Aloo Methi Gosht reminds me of this Haramasala walah selling a range of fresh herbs and greens at my doorstep at a cut-price.
Aloo Methi Gosht – Potatoes,Meat and fresh Fenugreek leaves curry
The recipe is quite simple, and most loved in my family. Here it goes:
Aloo Methi Gosht – Potatoes, Meat and fresh Fenugreek leaves curry
- Canola oil – 2 tbsp
- Red Onion – 1, large
- Meat – 250 gms
- Red chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Potatoes – 6, medium sized
- Tomato – 1, large
- Methi – 1 cup
- Add oil in the cooker. Once warm, add onions, meat and red chilli powder, salt. Let cook for about 5 mins on medium heat. Later, add water, close the lid and pressure cook until the meat is very tender.
- In the same pressure cooker with stock and meat, add tomatoes, diced potatoes and give it a stir. Pressure cook again for about 6-8 minutes or until the potatoes are just done.
- Add the chopped methi and let cook for about 5 more minutes.
Suggested Accompaniments: Tomato chutney and warm Rice or Rotis.