This recipe is my contribution to the event – A fruit a month’ AFAM, which the lovely Sig, of Live to Eat, has hosted for this month with Lychee as the fruit of the month. Many people do not know what Lychee are. Lychee is a fruit, mostly grown in China, and known for its sweet tart flavour. This fruit has a rose coloured skin when young, but as it matures, it develops a hard and leathery rind, which is inedible. It comes off easily leaving behind the jelly like, pearly white flesh with a single inedible seed inside. They are available fresh or canned in most asian stores. Anyways, here’s my entry for the event :
- Boneless Chicken Breast Pieces – 500 gms, cut into 2 cm cubes
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp
- Canola Oil – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Gram Flour – 5 tbsp
- Canola Oil – 3 tbsp
- Red Capsicum – 1/2 of a large capsicum, chopped
- Green Capsicum – 1/2 of a large capsicum, chopped
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2tsp
- Yellow Onions – 1, finely chopped
- Canned Lychee in Syrup – 1 can, 565 gms
- Tomato paste – 3 tbsp
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Chicken with Lychees
- Drain and reserve all the lychees and a cup of syrup individually in two bowls.
- Marinate the Chicken in the marination ingredients for preferably 30 minutes.
- Roll the chicken breast pieces in 4 tbsp gram flour and fry till golden brown. Make sure you do not fry them for too long as breast pieces toughen up too quickly.
- In a pan on medium heat, in a tbsp of oil, stir fry the red and green capsicum for about 7 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil and fry the onions till light brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry it along.
- Add the reserved cup of lychee syrup to it and simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Now add the tomato paste and the stir fried capsicum to it and mix well.
- Dilute the remaining one tbsp gram flour in a 2 tbsp water and pour this into the pan. Let it cook till the mixture begins to thicken up.
- Add the Chicken pieces and the drained lychees, chilli flakes and red chilli powder and give a good stir.
- Let it cook on simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Once ready, Serve it hot.