Canned Tuna is a staple in my home. There are always a few tins stacked up in the pantry that come handy to me at times when I am in the mood of a quick fix.
Serve these cutlets as snacks with tomato ketchup, or as a side dish with Rice or Parathas.
Makes: 26 cutlets
Canola Oil – 2 tbsp
Yellow Onions – 2, large size, finely chopped
Green chillies – 10-12, finely chopped
Tuna Flakes – 2 tins
Salt – 2 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Potatoes – 3, boiled, peeled, and mashed
Egg Whites – 3, whipped
Bread Crumbs – 2 cups
Canola Oil – as needed for shallow frying the patties
- In a non stick heavy bottom pan on medium heat stir fry the onions and green chillies in oil till the raw flavour of onions is lost and they are translucent.
- Add the drained tuna flakes to the pan. Mix and let it cook for almost 20 minutes till the tuna is light brown in colour. Keep strring it occasionally ensuring it doesnt get burned.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, black pepper and garam masala.
- Add the mashed potatoes to it mix well.
- Keep stirring it continuously and let it cook for 7 minutes more.
- Once ready, keep aside and let it cool.
- Make small patties of the cooled mixture.
- Pour the whipped egg white in a cup and bread crumbs in an another cup.
- Dip the patties once in the egg white, then in the bread crumbs and store them in a plastic box if you want to store some, and arrange remaining on a tray to fry them.
- Pour oil in a pan shallow fry them till brown on both sides.
- Serve them hot.