This is a guest post by Rubina of All Floured Up. She is a new mum and a big foodie at heart. Her blog is full of delicious recipes to try. Please welcome her! ~ Mona
I’m Rubina from the food blog “All Floured Up” and today I’ve got a delicious and super simple recipe. It’s a slow cooker recipe for butter chicken, and to make it even better, I’ve made this a healthy version.
This butter chicken is creamy, spiced perfectly, and comes together so quickly. I used Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream as a finishing “healthy” touch. I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe!
Slow Cooker Healthy Butter Chicken
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken leg meat, cut into 1″ pieces
Chicken marinade: 1 tbsp tandoori masala, 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp garlic paste, 1 tbsp yogurt.
1 tbsp butter
2 14 oz can tomato sauce
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic, paste (3 large cloves)
1 tbsp fresh ginger, paste (1.5″ piece)
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp tandoori masala
2 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
Naan/rice for serving
Cilantro for garnish
1) Marinate the chicken pieces in the chicken marinade (tandoori masala, ginger/garlic paste, and yogurt).
2) In a pan, melt the butter and quickly stir fry the chicken for 2-3 minutes on high heat. It doesn’t have to be cooked all the way through.
3) In a slow cooker, add the tomato sauce, onion, garlic paste, ginger paste, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, garam masala, tandoori masala, and the partially cooked chicken (and any juices left in the pan).
4) Set slow cooker on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. Cook until chicken is soft and sauce is bubbling.
5) When chicken is cooked, take the Greek yogurt in a large bowl, beat it so it softens up a little. Add 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce from slow cooker to thin the yogurt a little.
6) Stir the yogurt with the chicken gravy, cook for 10 more minutes in the slow cooker.
7) Serve hot with rice, naan, and of course, garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!
***If you don’t own a slow cooker, simply combine all ingredients and cook on lowest heat setting on stovetop in a pot for 2 hours, until sauce is thickened. Stir every 20 min or so to ensure no burning. Finish up with step 5 from above.