Jalfrezi is a type of Indian curry in which marinated pieces of meat or vegetables are fried in oil or spices to produce a dry, thick sauce. It is cooked with green chillies, with the result that the jalfrezi can range in heat from a medium dish to a very hot one. Other main ingredients include Peppers, Onions and Tomatoes. – Wikipedia
It was a bright day today, got to see sun and sunshine peeking through the heavy dark clouds for a little longer time after quite an extended period. That made me very happy and cheerful. I wanted to cook something special today, a nice vegetarian meal, and I quickly thought of this dish.
This is my lovely little sister’s recipe. It is a simple recipe which gets prepared in a jiffy. I searched for the ingredients in my refrigerator and I had all those, so I prepared and enjoyed this Curry/Salan along with Zeera Rice/Baghara Chawal and Khatti Dal.
Gobi-Mirch Jalfrezi – Cauliflower and Capsicum in a Tangy Sauce
- Cauliflower/Phul Gobi – 1, large, washed and cut into florets
- Red and Green Capsicums/Shimla Mirch – 1 each, de-seeded, cut into bite-size strips
- Canola Oil – 2 tbsp
- Yellow Onion/Pyaz – 2, large, sliced thin
- Soya Sauce – 4 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/3 tsp (optional)
- Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
- Tomato Paste – 2 heaped tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Nigella Seeds/Kalaunji – 1/2 tsp
- Heat oil in a non stick pan on medium heat, and throw in the Cumin seeds and Kalaunji. As soon as they start to splutter add the Onions and saute them till they are lightly browned.
- Add the Tomato paste, Garam masala, Salt and Red Chilli powder and mix well. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Cauliflower florets and stir fry them in the sauce for 3-5 minutes.
- Later add the Capsicum strips, Soya sauce, and a little water and stir to mix. Cover the lid and let it cook for 5 minutes taking care the curry isnt becoming too dry or getting burnt. Keep giving it a gentle stir every now and then. Serve warm.
Suggested Accompaniments: We had it along with Zeera Rice/Baghara Chawal and Khatti Dal for a delicious meal.