The Prophet (صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ) said in an authentic hadeeth: “The best days in this life are the (first) ten days of Dhu’l-Hijjah”. Dhul-Hijjah (the Month of Hajj) is the 12th month of the Islamic calendar. It is during this month that Hajj(annual pilgrimage of Muslims to Mecca) takes place.
The Prophet (صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ) has also said: “The greatest days in the scale of Allaah are the days of An-Nahr and Al-Qarr” (Abu Daawood). The day of An-Nahr is the major day of Hajj and the day of Eid; the day of Al-Qarr is the following day. Virtuous deeds have a magnified position during these days. The Prophet (صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ) said: “There are no days in which righteous deeds are more beloved to Allaah than the (first) ten days of Dhu’l-Hijjah” (Ad-Daarimi).
Millions of Haji‘s performing Hajj at Masjid-al-Haram in Saudi Arabia (source:flickr)
The second Muslim festival Eid-ul-Adha falls on the 10th of Dhu’l-Hiijjah, the Youm-e-Nahr (day of sacrifice) (this year on the 27th Nov ’09). On this day, in memory of the sacrifice of Prophet Ibrahim [on him be peace], an animal sacrifice is offered by Muslims all over.
It is only a matter of only a few days from today the muslims from all around the world will be celebrating Bakr-Eid inshallah.
In the spirit of Eid, I announce Season-I of the “Hyderabadi Bakr-Eid Food Festival-’09” on my blog, and invite all Hyderabadis from all around the world to send me Bakr-Eid special recipes. Inshallah I will post the round-up of all entries in the first week of January 2010.
The logo for the event is:
Feel free to use the logo.
Inshallah I plan to host this event every year on my blog during Bakr-Eid, so that people can share the recipes of the dishes they prepare using ‘Qurbani ka gosht’.
The rules of the event are as follows:
1. Both bloggers as well as non-bloggers can send me Hyderabadi special recipes of the food with pictures that you prepare using ‘Qurbani ka gosht’ after the Bakr-Eid (Eid-ul-Adha). It can be a snack, curry, kawab, etc whatever you wish.
2. There is no limit to the number of entries per person. Bloggers should link their post to this announcement page. Mail me the entries to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 31 ,2009 with following details :
- Your Name and blog/website title (if you have one)
- Recipe link (non-bloggers include the complete recipe)
- A Picture of the food (300 pixels width)
So, spread the word and send me your entries. Inshallah looking forward to a delicious spread.
Update: The grand round-up of all the entries has been published here. Enjoy the delicacies!